Saturday, July 14, 2007

Saint Louis Misoury


Yes it was St. louis week... It looks idyllic -the arch, the downtown view, the mississipi, the riverboats.. Unfortunately the photogragher of this picture (supplied via google image) must have been standing in the middle of the strip club haven where there must be four "gentlemens clubs all packed together" or maybe you are further south and you are in the midst of oldtime chemical plants and superfund sites and where odd odours permeate the air and you spend your time thinking this can't be healthy... or maybe you are further north in the midst of East St. Louis Illnois where pockets are really really rough and crime has driven away easy living...
Then we have downtown St. Louis where the core of the city is built up and punctuated by great architecture- the city hall is beautiful... the glory of the twenties is evident everywhere.
I stayed in down town and when I drove up to the hotel Sunday night (albeit 1 am Monday morning) the front parking lot is empty and a security guard directs you to the caged lot at the back.. there is a paddy wagon and two police cars evicting some guests...
St. Louis proper is said to have 350K residents who sleep there and 1.1 million residents during the day. its hard to have a good tax base like that and so there are rough areas... beautiful architecture is boarded up waiting for the next boom...
The people are good though... The guys in our plant are solid hardworking family people who just want to do the job and go home. I know a lot of them by name and many more of them talk to me like they know me. There is seemingly no racial tension in the plant -the guys just seem to get along.. The African American woman who is behind the counter at the hotel is happy that I am back and seemingly oblivious to the police action in the rear as she is checking me in..
people are people.. the car rental shuttle driver was great... retired from the steel mill after 37 years... been married for 40 and wants to keep it that way... allergic to mold... went to Niagara falls Canada once... and calls Canada the land o f the toonie and the loonie.. ( i gave him both for a tip.. all this in the ride from the airport to the rental cars
I am not a fan of the city but it makes for an interesting week

10 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaahhhh that answers my question ;-)

Nice to be able to travel and meet people related to your work.

"standing in the middle of the strip club haven where there must be four "gentlemens clubs all packed together""

And you dog women for watching reality TV shows! HA! lol

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger hockeyman said...

Nice try but I didn't take the picture.. it just seems funny you drive south on the east shore of the mississippi and then poof there is this little colony of them..

from a marketing sense you think..hmm..why here?...who goes to these places? and why would you cluster them all together... why not spread them out for more coverage..

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you asking me??? ;-)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

no Nancy.. it was rhetorical...

There is absolutely no way that I would ask a le belle province woman what she knew about such places... No way

such a pure Catholic province it just wouldn't happen....

lol

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah..that's MOI alright!

Pure-holy-roller-French-Canadian-Catholic.. wink

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

I have never been to 'Misoury'. I guess not having a desire to go there is a good thing! Ha!

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Go back to my post.. mmmmmm about the sushi and read the last comment... God thinks that I'm such a bad person.... lol

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

What have you been up to?

Yes.. more noseyness... wink

I can't quit.. I'm on a roll! lol

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody went to the same city as you :

http://the-sensuous-libertine.blogspot.com/

Tell me, did you go shopping at Schnucks? ;-)

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

I actually have been to schnucks in St. Louis... I might have been to one in Kansas city too.. but no... I did not have the experience that the libertine had...Damn... a hot woman in the "checkout" line

 

Post a Comment

<< Home