Thursday, July 05, 2007

Stampede's coming to town....




Yes Calgary is known for the Stampede and it starts tomorrow.. These pi cutes are from a Bull busting event at a local bar to warm us all up for the hoopla.
I can take about 57 minutes of rodeo...after that its like a car race where you find yourself waiting for the big wreck.. More Beer and a little empathy is in order.
Half of the event is just looking at the crowd. Big bellies and big belt buckles wander on by and you wonder why they wear those things. The "Bud Girls" flog beer and cleavage in equal measure but they look no more than 22 and so their appeal is limited to ice cold beer even if you are sentenced to bud lite. I have to admit that there is a strong appeal to the appearance of thirty/ forty something women wearing mid length skirts and cowboy boots. But the crowd is looking for fun and in a holiday mood and it is contagious even if the 57 minutes of enjoyable rodeo is over.
In Toronto there would probably be protesters on the cruelty to animals banner. There is no such thing in western Canada and in truth the cruelty on this day is on on humans as at least three bull riders were scraped up and helped off.. The best/ worse one was where the bull slipped and fell on the rider and then rolled off him. He staggers up and they announce that he is eligible for a re-ride..
The stampede starts tomorrow..let the fun begin...

7 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 1979, I went to Kelowna BC to a summer camp. We stopped off at the Calgary airport. I remember being quite impressed with that big oil thingy going up and down not too far away.

Somebody greeted us with huge cowboy hats. Girls got white and boys got black. I loved my hat. Coming back home, I forgot it in a hotel in Toronto. I was sooo disappointed.

Comfy bellies and young girls strutting their stuff. You should have posted a few picts of that. You'd get lots of male readers.. wink

I don't feel sorry for the riders..they deserve everything they get. Who in their right mind would get on a raging bull, huh?

I'd love to take a train trip out West one day....absolutely beautiful.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger hockeyman said...

hahaha in the summer of 1979.. I was in Kelowna for two weeks of beach fun and wild times..

kelwona was the summer hotspot for 16-22 year old young people back in the 70's....

yes that was us being obnoxiou

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turned 13..summer of 1979.. so I guess it didn't turn out to be the hotspot for me.. wink

How about you?

That's quite subtle.. LOL

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

ya know whan I was 19 in '79 we spent a tremendous amount of time and effort chasing girls but we never really were that successfull...at least not me..

Today I chalk that up to a lack of bathing...its sad really... youth is wasted on the young...

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hummmmmmmmmmm

I suppose some people are successful at chasing and catching...

I just wasn't noticeable .. I had a whole different reality anyway.

Now it's like..the hell with it!

:-)

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

ok..I can see not getting noticed when
are 13.. I was still collecting pop bottle for money when I was 13... but you can't tell me that a smile like you had in that picture with Ann doesn't get noticed

ne pas posible

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'est très possible..crois-moi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home