Monday, July 02, 2007

The Mountain and Me


Yes I went to climb to the top of this peak on Canada Day. It is a humbling experience.
It is a relatively easy mountain to hike to the top of. One woman did it in 48 minutes. But for me it is not so simple. There are no flat spots. Ok one that is about 20 ft long. You start up from the parking lot at the back and you start up and really it never stops climbing until you are right at the top of the peak.
I do this to see if I am getting in shape, to show that I can still do it like I used to. Its supposed to be therapeutic. Climb to the peak stand on top look down on creation and feel strong..
As I was sitting by the trail gasping for breath I pledged to exercise everyday the rest of my life. I was winded, whipped and by the end my legs wobbled. But I went up and stood there.. I did not give in to the demons on my shoulder that said.. rest go home now... you've come far enough..
At one point another hiker spotted a bear across the rocks. I could barely make him out even with my zoom lens on my camera.. The demon says "go back there's a bear... its dangerous"..but luckily reason prevails.. the bear was a long ways away and running the other way. And since at this point I was above the treeline with only rock ahead of me the idea that a bear might find this terrain appealing is a little ridiculous even for my demon.
It was a little disconcerting at the top as I am there peering over the cliff -- three climbers are rapelling up the cliff and climbing over the top edge about 20 ft down. Now that'll startle ya a little...
The deed is done... one mountain is climbed.. I am looking for a new one...

2 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger SteakGirl said...

Congratulations! Now you probably will not be able to walk for a day or two, but every time you wince in pain, there will be a silly grin with it.

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're able to climb that mountain, you must have very good knees... ;-) I couldn't do it, that's for sure!

Quebequers celebrate "their special day" on June 24th. Canadians celebrate "their special day" on July 1. Americans celebrate "their special day" on July 4th. ;-)

Here are the words of a very wise man, Anthony De Mello :

"You will never see me salute a flag. I abhor all flags because they are only idols. What do we need to salute? We must salute humanity, not a flag surrounded by an army. The flags are in the head of people. In fact, there are neither borders nor limits. They were placed there by the human brain, in general by idiotic and covetous politicians."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home