Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Hoover Dam,... and Las Vegas




Yes the hockeyman went south this week to Las Vegas and Kingman Arizona. Interesting is the only way to describe it...
above is a picture of the Hoover dam - the famous american landmark. Built in the 1920's I always thought it was such an important structure because of the power it generates. No... the 720ft high dam only produces enough power for a million homes. I know a million is a million but still -- you would think it would do all of las vegas and half of southern California... The real reason for the dam was always and remains today-- control the flow of the colorado river and eliminate the yearly flooding downstream and two to store water for agriculture irrigation--- electric power is secondary.
Let me assure you .. I was subjected to the 8$ tour of the dam. Its like going to jail.. they lock you in lineups and then feed you dribs and drabs... the best part is walking around which is free and just enjoying the engineering marvel and the beautiful rock formations.
They search the buses that travel across the bridge. you are not allowed to carry over luggage. Security in America... I am sure that it would take an absolutely massive bomb to take out that dam..
Las Vegas was interesting. On Wed night I went to dinner at the Voodoo lounge on top of the Rio. I highly recommend it not just for the food (Stuffed crabs-- fabulous) but you are on the 50th floor and you can walk out and see the city. Decadence money faux art, its breathtaking. As I commented... I imagine an extra terrestrial visiting earth and deciding that las vegas was the capital of earth... New york, Paris, Rio, Bally's Ceasers, the bellagio, the list goes on and on... money, greed and humanity all wrapped up together..
I did spend some time talking to an interesting woman who I invited to visit this blog... I will blog about the las vegas people I met when I blog on the weekend..
yes.. I lost 120$ donated to the hotel via blackjack... it could have been much worse but as I was leaving I had a 16$ slip from the penny slots in my pocket and I used it for a 25 cent slot machine and won 200$
yes I would go back tomorrow

2 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Blessed said...

How cool. I have always wanted to go to Vegas. I am not much of a gambler. Even here where I live
at the horse track (Keeneland). However, I know there is way more to do than lose my money!!!
My husband and I have talked of going to Vegas and seeing this Dam tour. It is on my list of things to do.
And definitely this was a warm area for a snow-man like you to visit!
Glad you had a good time. Look forward to reading more.

Many blessings!

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picts! ;-)

You got a little taste of summer you lucky thing you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home