Saturday, January 13, 2007

The dream .........


Le Reve "the Dream" is painted by pablo picasso in 1932. It shows Picasso's mistress, Marie-Therese Walter. Obviously she was tickled pink by the lovely image of herself.
I have to tell you. its hard to understand. the split personality, the angel wing under the right ear. The lack of bossom. and the meaty arms.
Probably what tickles me most is the stark red of the chair, the shade of purple chin and the black "cleaver" that splits the personality. like two women in one...
Why this painting.. Steve Wynn of Las Vegas fame is having a dispute with LLoyds of London his clumsiness. It seems that he was handing the painting, showing it to friends and had an oops and put his elbow though the canvas causing a 2 in flap to be hanging in the wind..
They estimate that the painting was worth 132 million before the clumsiness and after being repaired its only worth 89 million. ah ha... I can see that...ok maybe I would only pay the price Steve paid for it..48 million in 1997. The Ganzes... bought it in 1941 the day they were married and hung it in their living room for 6000$ in 1941.
I like the painting. I like the colors I like the interesting look of the female face. They refer to it as an erotic look and you have to look for that but 132 million??? and if you can't tell it was restored...isn't its value in the view.
so..what do you think of Le reve... is it your dream?

4 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger "L'état, c’est moi." said...

It is a lovely painting, but Picasso, in general, doesn't "do it" for me like some of the Impressionists or Wassily Kandinsky's abstractions (especially from his Bauhaus period).

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

Picasso is too"complicated " for me. I am a hockeyman prone to simple paintings....

they claim that this is his "erotic work..." I just never see it..

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger West Coast Woman said...

Grrr...Blogger just ate my original comment.

Anyhow, I see her face as dreamy rather than erotic. I think the critics were misled by the fact that she seems to be practicing the gentle art of frottage.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the look on her face, to me, it says that Picasso was a lousy lover...

This type of art does absolutely nothing for me....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home