Monday, January 22, 2007

Portions...


Last week I had the luck to travel to Buffalo New York. It is kind of what you expect, industrial , old, a little dated and dirty. The people seem wholesome, hardworking, love the Bills, blue collar, easy to talk too.

A woman picked out that I was a Canadian in one sentence.. how did she do that? I am always conscious about hiding my canadianisms from America.. I ask for the men's room not the washroom. I watch how I say "about". but she caught me. She told me she was a bartender and it was my accent.. Does John Roberts from NBC have a canadian accent.--- I think not....

Back to buffalo.. It is impossible to be on a diet. The portions are huge. I ordered chicken parmigiana and the side pasta was a meal by itself. I ordered a chicken ceaser salad and there was a half a chicken on a mound of lettuce and cheese enough to feed a family of four. The meals were very reasonable and the food was good if not spectacular, but it was the amount that slayed me. Do more sophisticated cities have smaller portions?

Of course I drove by the falls... I haven't been since I was a kid.. but I drove by. there is something that compels you to stand and watch the water go over..

7 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Chick said...

hey thanks for the comment.
You sounded like George from Seinfeld who posted or called a open from a communist paper because it said, "looks doesnt matter".

Yea, truly the crazy things we do.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger West Coast Woman said...

If I had known you had begun blogging regularly-ish, I'd've swung by before now!

Anyhow, I think the huge portion size is a blue-collar thing. Smaller portions are the mark not so much of a more sophisticated city but a more sophisticated demographic. I guess that makes me blue-collar at heart, though, because "the New Cuisine" leaves me hungry at the end of the meal, after spending more money for less food. Darned annoying.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger hockeyman said...

welcome WCW... I have a hard time believeing that you are blue collar at heart...

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger West Coast Woman said...

Well, I suppose I could just be a glutton....

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger guttergirl said...

I love the falls. I haven't been there in years but there is something comforting about them. Maybe it is the unbridled natural force, I don't know. I just know I feel renewed after visiting.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

It seems I correspond with alot of Canadians here in blogworld and you know what I have discovered?
It seems I like Canadians.
LOL.

I have always wanted to see the falls. Infact just this morning I was watching the history channel and it was about the falls and harnessing the energy for a power station.

You need to post more Mr. Hockeyman.

By the way, had snow flurries today. Pretty. Cold.
Still waiting for summer tho.
And total lunar eclipse.
Amazing.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Mistify said...

I went to the Falls this past year and they were beautiful. Your picture brought back happy memories...thanks for your comment the other day :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home