Saturday, July 07, 2007

Am I missing life?


How much of life do we miss because we fail to engage life around us?


I was on vacation all week and I dedicated myself to exercising and working on my basement. The basement is a saga job, it will take me about a year to finish- mostly because I do not work on it religiously and work normally wears me down. none the less the week was good, climbed the mountain, rode about 100 miles on various bike rides and swam a little.
The one thing I did not do was play golf.. I play about 2 or 3 games a year but I love golf. None of the usual suspects were around to play this week so I thought I it was not to be.
yes I am getting to the point...
This morning I woke up at 5 am and I was lying there pondering life itself when a thought struck me. What I should do is drive to the Mountains and try to see if there was room for one person to play golf with a group. I lay there and argued with myself.. what if they don't do that, they probably have a waiting list, its looks overcast what if it rains etc etc... Finally i burst out of bed.. loaded my golf clubs, my bike and my hiking stuff in the car and headed out.. The bike and the hiking is just in case I was right.
Bottom line... I got on no problem.. played with this old guy who was great to play with. and it was glorious, in amongst the mountains. I shot a 99 which is about normal for me.
But what if I hadn't had that energy spurt..what if I had lay in bed and goofed off and not engaged the world? How much of life do I miss when I work too much or watch too much TV.
I think its logarithmic- you engage the world and you have multiple experiences that yield multiple more experiences.
Energy is our precious resource but I have to work my mind to avoid complacency

8 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that I'm a little reluctant if I have to join a group and don't know anyone. I rarely make the first move.

Getting around and doing stuff on my own.. no problem. I travel and do everything solo.

So I would say that I'm not missing out on life if I do what needs to be done on my own.. ;-)

Kudos to you for going all out today!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

I was nervous about it.. like who gets stuck with the poor guy with no friends but in the end it all worked out.

but as I have written before I believe solitude has its virtues.

I think you tend to think more..

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to think TOO MUCH! lol

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

we can't think too much.... see maybe thinking inspired your peace piece...

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.. pretty scary.. ;-)

I did find your take on it pretty interesting and I'm sure not a whole lot have ever thought of it in that way.. My friend Paws was also impressed by what you said...

I guess thinking is good after all... Bonne nuit!

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!

What's up???

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger hockeyman said...

I feel so good...I think she missed me...

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home