Monday, September 17, 2007

Waste


Ok... I have been busy doing home renovations... tearouts, framing, electrical and plumbing..
One of the highlights of this work is the trip to the dump. Really.. for some reason waking up at 7 on a Saturday and loading the truck with junk and taking it to the dump is somehow a great start to a Saturday. Tim Hortons coffee, the yard cleaned up.. that elusive sense of accomplishment creating a warm feeling.
The dump is interesting... you always see good stuff there... there a couple of cheap pressure washers there almost everytime.. the wood is significant.. one time I could not pass up a wheelbarrow in perfect condition.. You would think that if the city allowed salvage scavengers it would be good all around.. they could rescue good stuff and keep the landfill volume down.
But today..it just smells and the seagulls look on anxiously...
In Calgary the price is obscenely low... 5$ for the first 500lbs... 30$ a ton after that... I can dump a truckload for 5$
It does seem like a waste... good stuff buried.. wood and metal all mixed in and not recycled, methane vented and not collected.
Hockey is getting started..the renovation is just about done... the environment will have to follow that..

6 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you'll be sharing your renovations with us! ;-)

Obviously I can't renovate but I sure do enjoy painting and changing the look of the place!

I'm thinking of renting this little tiny house and the idea of fixing up the place is really appealling to me. I will need a little help though. Interested? LOL

I miss not having a man around for that! hahahaha

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger hockeyman said...

Ya know.. I love doing this work.. even when I curse it I still love that feeling exhausted at the end of the day..

last night I ram all of the Coax cable for the TV's... you never really know where you will want the TV so I went a little overboard..

I will say this...there are a ton of women who are shopping for building supplies on their own at home depot.. its a trend...

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! I'll shop for the supplies, I have no problem with that.. I just can't install them that's all!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Cindra said...

Oy! That heap makes me cry. We have this awesome place...http://www.bringrecycling.org/
and you can go rifle through anything from hinges to doorknobs to light fixtures to doors...to...well...anything people toss out. and they have an art gallery from the stuff peeps made from the stuff. it is incredible and you can get lost there. i bring home stuff for projects that i never get to but just cos the stuff is so cool.

P.S.

I am here via nancybee's blog. Hi.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger hockeyman said...

Welcome Cindra...

any friend Nancy Bee's (except that old crotchety guy) is a friend of mine

Nancy,... what you ought to do is organize a bloghome improvement repair weekend and invite all of the blog boys and girls to bring their tools and fix that little house...you can get that old crotchety guy to yell at all of the people who aren't working hard enough......

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL
I love your suggestions.. ;-)
But I think that god (aka the old crochety geezer) has better things to do... LOL

I think it's time for a new post.. get crackin'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home