Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why why why?



The Toronto Maple Leafs have been eliminated from the playoffs again for the third straight year. It has been 41 years since they last won the Stanley cup. Yet to me, and their fans everywhere, we are not switching teams--- we will continue to love the victories and get a sense of disappointment with the losses.

Maybe its the tribal tendencies coded into my DNA but I can't shake the Leafs. I live in Calgary where the Flames have a much better team than the leafs, better personalities, more exciting playing styles and a much more community minded ownership group. But I can't shake the Leafs-- I have tried but in my heart I want them to win, to beat the Flames, and to have that parade in downtown Toronto.

When I play hockey this Sunday the men in the dressing room will all get after me as they see a Leaf fan as an ideal opportunity to make themselves feel taller...(this is for the odd chance that one of them reads this blog) I will take it with a smile and pine for next year when the Leafs will rise again. I will stomp around and boast that next year we will be back and that we were a playoff team from Christmas on... It will be complete bullsh*t but when you are in the tribe you are in the tribe.

For those who are Leafs fans or for you out there who have backed losers for a long time ...

Have Faith -the Leafs will rise again and once more Lord Stanley`s cup is going to be ours!!!

Go Leafs!

2 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Our faith and optimism are amazing, aren't they? I get so ticked off at these guys but always hope.
Next year, Leafs, next year...

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Ames said...

you live in calgary and support the leafs, i live in nyc and support the leafs... stranger things have happened. will they win next year? stranger things have happened. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home