Saturday, September 23, 2006

Lonely Saturday is just fine


Some days its ok to be alone. I was away all week for work and I came back to Calgary dead to the world. So Saturday feeling like a slug I dragged myself to my bicycle and rode to the Bow river valley.

We are blessed with a huge bike path system all through the feeder creeks and the rivers. It was cool today so the trails were empty.

I love that.. I ride alone..I enjoy the scenery, the chance to "free think", and the freedom of it all.

I think some days I don't think enough. Why am I against the war in Iraq but in favour of the war in Afghanistan. Am I being spun. The mountains really look snowy in the distance. I should set a goal for the number of times I ski this season, will the Toronto Maple leafs win the cup this year, I wonder what possessed that man to stab the infant in the head on the freeway in Louisiana...can I quit my job and start a business. ..

Yes I know that nothing was accomplished other than arriving back two hours later happily tired.

I think people denigrate doing things alone. I think it stops us from doing things. Culturally we do not get out and do things alone because of the stigma of "lonely and pathetic"

Of course it would have been more fun to have a sweetheart ride with me with a picnic lunch on the carrier with a cool bottle of white wine and a blanket for making love in the tall grass, but that Norman Rockwell painting is not the only picture in the gallery. If we wait for the perfect picture maybe we miss the art itself.

My lonely Saturday was just fine...

2 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Blessed said...

I love my alone time. Time to get centered, chill out, let the don't matters slip away, count my blessings.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger guttergirl said...

Absoulutely! Time alone is special time. I love to walk through the park nearby. I listen to my favorite music, enjoy the world, love feeling the breeze caress my skin. Sometimes I even solve the world's problems then too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home