Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Peaceful...


There is way too much yelling , political infighting bad feelings and meanness in the world. I was feeling it too..swept up in who is right or wrong. that bad bad word hypocrite, commenting on what fair or not fair...
Here is the thing . I wrapped up all of this angst and simmering anger I took it with me on my weekend hike up the Elbow river. I like to go by myself as all miserable people should. Usually I like to hike up a semi mountain, get really tired, feel incredibly old and leave exhilarated at having tamed the beast. This was not to be. It was much farther than I thought to the side trail up the ridge and by then it was too late so the hike was incredible tame. This irked my already foul mood...

On the way back was a place to ford the river. I took my shoes off and started to go across the river... the water was cold and the thought of dumping my camera and my blackberry made me chicken out and go back.. ---might as well be dead

I walked on feeling old but not exhilarated....beating myself up for not crossing the stupid river leaving myself stuck in the same old same old trail. about 100 yards was another ford and another trail this time I did not hesitate... I grabbed a stick for balance kept my shoes on and strode across. It came to mid thigh and was cold but easily forded..

the trail on the other side was deserted -no sound but the river, no one to be found. one hour of no people or no people sounds . Somewhere in all of this my anger went away the problems of my little world evaporated and my exhilaration with life returned. The hike costs nothing but gas to get there but it was therapeutic worth thousands...

You have to wonder how all of this works.. how complicated yet simple our minds can be...

1 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger guttergirl said...

That is just what I need. Glad you found your solitude and peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home