Saturday, March 04, 2006

My trip to The South


I was through Georgia and South Carolina this week. and a few things struck me. This is a gorgeous time of the year.. The blossoms are coming out, the humidity is gone, the temperature nudges 70 and just walking around is a sheer joy.

Maybe it was me or maybe it was circumstances but prices seemed lower than much of the US. I took the guys to a family restaurant and the bill for four of us was 27$. I saw gas at least two places for 1.99$/ Gal. I stopped at the Ralph Lauren outlet mall and got work shirts for 35$.

In spite of the bumper sticker attached I think people are less supportive of President Bush than ever. Two guys I talked to said they had voted for George twice but had made a mistake. The war goes badly. The reason for war is unclear and we have quite the mess on our hands ollie. "Huge waste of money."

The land of enormous portions wreaked havoc with my diet. Like always I tried to immerse myself in the land so at lunch I had catfish, okra, blackeyed peas and coleslaw. It reverberates to this day but the catfish was delicious... I smiled when I saw the hostesses name was "cookie..." She had a winsome smile. The lunch crowd looked like the fashion norm for fortiesh working men is to have long stringy hair, a moustache, a black t shirt like extra's in the lynard Skynard videos of bygone eras.

You can tell the economy rocks. Atlanta traffic is fearsome. The quality of person at the hotel desk or the rental car place or the security office is very poor leading one to believe that the better and brighter are fully employed in better jobs. Construction everywhere.

I like trips like that, meeting people, talking about life, hearing the passion they have for Georgia Tech basketball or Steve Spurrier gamecock football. humming showtunes

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger K said...

This is really well-written! I went to school in the Carolinas, and this really made me want to go back to the temperate lifestyle where everything is just a little bit slower...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home