Sunday, February 05, 2006

Life gets a little crazy...


On the plane last week I was completely pissed. Not being a small person and a little claustiphobic I always want an aisle seat. I work hard to make sure I am getting one. In Chicago they changed the airplane and all seats got rearranged. The net result with my luck I was stuck in the middle with a large fellow on the aisle and a woman about my age on the window. . Bored to tears... laptop battery dead., my book (Amsterdam by Ian McEwam) ok but not a page turner. I noticed the woman sitting by the window was so bored she was reading the inflight magazine.

This is incredibly bored.

So I ask her where she is coming from (Charlottle NC) and I find out she is from Nova Scotia and lived not far from where I lived when I lived there. I had just been there two weeks before. I started with all of the goofy things about living in the Maritimes. We were off to the races... I had her laughing so hard I thought were were going to get complaints from neighboring passengers. She was fun fun fun. Her stories of adjusting to Calgary made her a gamer even when she is finding the transition hard. The remaining two hours of the flight flew right on by. Some people you just click with.

When we went to get off the plane I wanted to say hey can we do this again but her situation and mine do not permit this- and so it doesn't happen. I wonder if she felt the same way? Society dictates that if we are not to be lovers then we are not to be friends at least in this kind of setting. You think about this. Friends are so hard to come by. In retrospect I should have given her my blog address and seen what she had to say of the experience.

When I was driving home I thought about human interaction and how we miss out on so much life because of societal norms. There is a fellow blogger whose tag line reads that everyone has a story to tell. They do. When they really tell it, it is fun and alive and it does not care how thick or thin they are or how attractive they are, their story can capture us.


So as I watch the superbowl today by myself I will consider that its because I did not engage enough people in my 40 plus years of life...

Seattle has in the bank since I am cheering for Pittsburgh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home